Syndactyl Salutations

Thoughts on writing, knitting, and the world around me.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Overwhelmed

Do you ever get completely overwhelmed by all of the stuff in your life? I'm talking about physical things, not even touching the mental or emotional. I am currently going through this overwhelming period. It was what precipitated last weekend's running away from home. Though, considering I was allegedly trying to get away from stuff, I managed to take an awful lot of it with me.

I didn't run far, and I didn't do any real sightseeing. I stayed in a nice hotel, with my knitting, a book or two, and a notebook and pen to keep me company. Well, that's what I brought, anyway. I also spent a lot of time watching HGTV, TLC, and the Food Network. I don't have, and don't particularly want, cable at home, but I like watching redecorating shows, of both the home and human variety. I got my fill.

The two days I spent out of my home environment, by myself, clarified the feeling that my stuff was getting to me. I spent some time writing about simplifying things and thinking about what I'd need to do corral my stuff.

I had Monday and Tuesday off again last week. I spent Monday cleaning the top part of my desk at home and getting rid of filed paperwork that absolutely did not need to stay. It felt good and looks a lot better.

Tuesday I got a start on a bookshelf, but made minimal progress.

Wednesday I remembered to get mailing boxes from the post office for things I had that belonged to other people. You'll notice I said "had." I managed to pack and address the boxes Wednesday evening, even writing notes on stashed postcards I was apparently saving for "someday." No, I'm not in Paris, but it was fun to enclose a card from there anyway.

Today I did my wardrobe, in a big way. The laundry had just been done, so I brought it and the suitcase with three things I had put away until cooler weather up to the bedroom. I emptied all of my dresser drawers and my closet onto my bed, piling things according to what they were.

Once I had everything out, I began putting it away, making notes on how many of each thing I had (I discovered I need to go underwear shopping, SOON). I looked at everything. I just plain threw some things away, and I bagged up a bunch of things to donate. Even with three grocery bags of stuff to donate, I still have plenty of clothes.

I realized that I could pack more away for the summer than I initially had. I also realized that I don't wear most of my clothing as often as I could. I'm hoping that now that I have looked it all over in as much detail as I have, I'll have a better idea of what is available, and won't feel like as much of a frump when I get dressed for work.

I'm going to continue working with my stuff for a while, because I still have plenty to whip into shape. I'm pretty sure that the reason for this digging in, or digging out, is my impending 35-ness. It's still over a month away, but I'm starting to feel its shadow. I'm guessing that 35 must mean actual grown-up status to me, or something, considering some of the things, aside from dealing with stuff, I'm trying to sort out.

I didn't do much knitting this past week, none, in fact, between Sunday afternoon and today. I did a bit of a sock today, ripping out and casting on for the third time... but there'll be more on that later. If I'd have gotten more than four hours of sleep last night, I might have worked on Clapotis this evening, but it won't happen.

I'm not buying any more yarn for a very long time. I have a bigger surplus than I am actually comfortable with, so I will be knitting exclusively from stash for the foreseeable future. I guess that means I feel like I can, in fact, have too much yarn.

I hope you are all comfortable and secure with your stuff, the overwhelm is not a pretty place to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home