Syndactyl Salutations

Thoughts on writing, knitting, and the world around me.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Knit-In

I went to The Mannings yesterday for their annual Knit-In. It's less than an hour-and-a-half from me, and yet I'd never been. How could that have happened?

Regardless, the weather was just right for knitting outside under trees. I decided that I needed yet another break from the baby blanket (the poor child will be taking it off to college with her at this rate), so I got the ubiquitous One Skein Wonder pattern before I headed out. I knew I needed to buy needles, but I'd planned on using leftover Brooks Farm. Yeah, right.

Have I mentioned that I haven't bought yarn in quite a while? It was intentional, I have lots. Anyway, I went in, and the needles were conveniently located by the register. I could have just grabbed the needles and gotten in line, I really could have...okay, maybe not, since I certainly didn't. IT suddenly occurred to me that I was in a large, well-stocked yarn shop and I DESERVED something different for this project (forget that I recently quit a job and will start a lower paying temp assignment, I had birthday money, darn it!). I ended up with Soy Silk PHOENIX in Harvest Green. Expensive, yes, but it's one skein...except that my gauge is tight enough that it may be two (I bought the scond, just in case). Thank you for the birthday shrug Grandma and Grandpa.

I went by myself, but as soon as I walked into the shop I ran into my favorite librarian from my public library. I knew she knit, but that was as far as it went. When we were both outside again, I showed her my Clapotis, since I hadn't had the chance yet. She immediately took it around to show all of everyone within range, and had me move my chair closer. I had some nice conversations with people on and off.

The other cool thing was meeting Cindy, Kate, and Rosie (Hi ladies!) from Chester County Stitch 'n Bitch. I'm on their list, but have never made it to a gathering. I hope that meeting them will make me more inclined to travel to their meetings at least once in a while.

All in all it was a lovely afternoon, and I love the Soy Silk. I'm fourteen or so rows away from the sleeve edging and will probably work on it more this evening. I promise to cast on for another baby blanket block tomorrow and work on them alternately from then on.

First temp assignment in six years tomorrow, should be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home