Syndactyl Salutations

Thoughts on writing, knitting, and the world around me.

Friday, July 29, 2005

Fun with Clapotis




This was modeled my last day of work, she was the only one who tried it on and didn't try to run away with it. She did try to hold onto it with one of her wires, though.













Clapotis enjoyed Longwood Gardens at least as much as I did, doesn't she look at home against the stunning floral backdrop?


















Clapotis is about 5 feet long, she took about 2 1/2 skeins of Brooks Farm Four Play (50% fine wool/50% silk), which I purchased at Maryland Sheep & Wool. As you can see by the extra-pointy corner, I haven't done any blocking yet, I'm still making up my mind.










A slightly better view of the colors and pattern (in case anyone out there hasn't already seen the millions of other lovely examples), there was some pooling at the beginning and end, but nothing I couldn't live with. The sheen and drape are great, and the weight is slightly lighter than I expect when I pick it up.




This is what is known as showing the knitting a good time, that is if the knitting happens to like gardens. Clapotis has already become my slightly-too-warm-for-the-season-but-who-cares security blanket.

It was in the high nineties and very humid on Tuesday, but I popped it in my bag anyway, and I liked knowing that I had it with me, even though it was too hot to wear it.









Technicalities:
Pattern: Clapotis by Kate Gilbert for Knitty.com
Yarn: Brooks Farm Four Play
Started: June 5, 2005
Finished: July 21, 2005

I think this may be my favorite finished object so far. It took me a while to get into working on it, but once I did, it flew (I knit the entire second skein in just over a week). I love the colors, which is sort of odd, because I'm usually drawn to greens and blues instead.

I did take one shot of myself with Clapotis around my shoulders, but my arms are apparently too short for decent self-portraiture, so that won't be making an appearance here.

1 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful, well done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home