Syndactyl Salutations

Thoughts on writing, knitting, and the world around me.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Why I Quit My Job

Have you ever gotten to a point with a job at which you just have to say "Enough is enough"? I reached that point with my job about a month ago. It wasn't an absolutely horrible job, I've worked worse, but I had had it for five-and-a-half years, and I knew I wasn't going to be doing much different in six-and-a-half or ten-and-a-half than I was at that moment. That thought sapped any energy I had.

I liked the people I worked with, I liked the overall creativity of the environment, but those two things were finally not enough to overcome the fact that my job was not creative in the least (people don't want you to be creative with their grades, I understand this) and I was moving toward working more with numbers, when I knew I'd much rather have been working with words. Interpreting statistics does not grab me in the least.

It was time for a change. I left on good terms. They threw me a surprise last day/early birthday party on Friday and showered me with gifts and attention. I am not a typical Leo, I do not like being the center of attention in a group. I tried a couple of times to hide under Clapotis (photos soon, promise), and the time spent opening cards and gifts was excruciating, for as nice as it was of all of them.

So, I have this week off. I'm doing housework and other odds and ends today, having a birthday eve dinner with my parents this evening, then spending the day tomorrow at Longwood Gardens with a bit of knitting, my camera, and a notebook with plenty of blank pages.

I don't have anything concrete lined up, I woke up nervous about that this morning. It's the first time in seven-and-a-half years that I've had a week off without knowing for sure what I'll be doing come next week. I'm signed with a temp agency for the time being. I enjoy temping, and I don't doubt their ability to keep me occupied. I have a few other things as possibilities, but they're out there a ways so I'm not going to get into any details.

I'll be starting 35 with a clean slate, and I'm planning on it being a good year, no matter what weirdness may rear its interestingly-shaped and -colored head, and I'm sure there will be plenty.

The time has come to take control of more of my life, wish me luck, will you?

1 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consider yourself wished luck!

My (now ex-) boyfriend had a totally horrible job, and has now decided that he needs change in his life. He's never left Seattle, so he's headed to Virginia, where he has family and hopefully, happier options.

Change is sometimes necessary, I guess.

Best of luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home