Syndactyl Salutations

Thoughts on writing, knitting, and the world around me.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

A Grand Day Out

Okay, maybe "grand" is a bit strong, I mean we didn't go to the moon for cheese, or anything. My mom and I went to a craft/antique/home show today. We had a good time, though we both agreed that craft shows just aren't what they used to be. My parents did the craft show circuit for quite a while when I was a kid (my mother made traditional white oak baskets for years), and she mentioned more than once today how happy she is to not be doing it any more.

I didn't buy anything, but mom got a needle-felted sheep for a friend of hers. I thought of getting one for the briefest of seconds, but my anti-acquisitive impulse is still running strong, and I was mildly concerned that any small wooly animal I would get might mistakenly end up as a cat toy. I'd never actually seen needle-felting being done, so that part of stopping by the stand was cool. What can't be done with wool?

My mom also discovered a potential new hobby. She already makes hooked rugs, so the prospect of doing something very similar that is much more portable really appeals to her. We went to both punchneedle booths more than once, but she decided to sleep on it for a day or two, then get her supplies closer to home. I think that the results of rug hooking and punchneedle are really cool, but I have no real interest in exploring either of them. I'll stick to knitting, thanks.

I hope you all had enjoyable Sundays as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home