Syndactyl Salutations

Thoughts on writing, knitting, and the world around me.

Sunday, July 25, 2004

Skipping Shakespeare

We usually go to Shakespeare in the park when it comes around, but today it was Romeo and Juliet, and, frankly, I don't think I could have survived yet another production. It's a good story and all, but it's not exactly interesting to me any more. Besides, it was grey and cool and I just didn't feel like sitting in a sea of people squinting at the stage for two or three hours. I'll go to whatever they stage next year, I promise.

The positive side of eschewing an evening of culture in open air was that I did some writing on random topics. I began by opening Julia Cameron's The Right to Write for the umpteenth time. Sometimes I just need something to jumpstart myself, especially of late. I did a couple of her exercises and did a couple of short pieces I thought up all on my own. I'm pretty excited, although that's an embarrassing admission, because I feel like I could sit down and start writing again, and that makes me happy. That part of me has been missing for a few months and I'll be happy to have it back.

I don't have to work tomorrow, so I plan to celebrate my birthday by driving to Havre de Grace, Maryland for part of the day. I've never been there, I don't know anyone there, but it's something I've been meaning to do for years. I've been wanting to do it for the past two or three birthdays, at least, but something always comes up. This time I have my directions and map ready on my desk, my phone is charging, and I shouldn't have to worry about sleeping in. I just want to see water or something. I want to go somewhere a little different and I want to go by myself. As far as I know, I will come home to the promise of a birthday dinner at Taj Mahal, so it should be nice all around.

No knitting today. Feeling frustrated because I had to re-cast-on for my Bottoms Up Bucket Hat last night after breaking both strands of yarn whilst attempting to stretch the k2tog stitches. Don't know my own strength, I guess. The sorry partial brim I had is huddled on my nightstand, I only ripped back to where the thread let go. Maybe I'll make it into a nice necklace or headband... All of those painful cotton stitches, I was  disheartened, but at least I cast on again immediately -- only knit twenty+ stitches, but still cast on immediately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home