Syndactyl Salutations

Thoughts on writing, knitting, and the world around me.

Thursday, September 02, 2004

Secret Pals III Questions, Answered

For my anticipated Secret Pals III pal:

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high-end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I'm a yarn snob in the sense that I prefer natural fibers over synthetic.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
Neither, though spinning looks interesting, and I'll probably need crochet eventually. (I think I used to know how.)
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
No full-blown allergies, but I have some lung problems, so cigarette smoke and heavy perfumes are to be avoided.

4. How long have you been knitting?
This time for a couple of years. I learned initially when I was about ten, then I picked it up again with a scarf pattern in Real Simple magazine.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No, not at this point.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I like citrus, lavender, and other fresh, natural scents, though I hardly ever burn scented candles.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yes, yes I do. Sugar is a significant weakness.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I've made a quilt, and hope to make another. I take photos. I used to write and hope to start again any time.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if you want to make her a CD)
I don't listen to nearly as much music as one would think, but I like nearly anything but country and rap. I have no idea whether my computer will play MP3s.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
Greens of all sorts, natural earthy colors, though I've found pink suits me better than I would have suspected.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my boyfriend and our two cats. We have his children weekends.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
Besides happiness and health? To finally figure out what I want to do with my life and begin doing it.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I'm enjoying the baby merino I'm using for the baby blankets right now, but I'm looking forward to experimenting with other soft, shiny fibers.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Acrylic, in high quantities it makes my teeth squeak and the bridge of my nose itch.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Baby blankets, apparently.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I'm not sure yet, I'm only just progressing beyond rectangles.

17. What are you knitting right now?
A baby blanket, a Paris Loop poncho, a sock, and a bucket hat I haven't worked on in nearly a month.

18. What do you think about ponchos? (this is really a curiousity question for us)
I'm not quite sure. I'm not crazy about fringe or points, but I've seen a few patterns I find interesting. I'm not even sure how they'd look on me.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I've been using circulars almost exclusively of late, but I don't know if I have a definitive preference yet.

20. How did you learn to knit?
A friend of my grandmother taught me when I was about ten. I never got further than dishcloth-sized squares for at least twenty years, but I carted that first set of needles and skein of sea foam green acrylic with me the entire time.

21. How old is your oldest UFO?
Just over two months at this point. If you'd asked me a month ago, I would have had to admit to five months. I hadn't had more than one project on the needles at any given time before now.

I hope this will be helpful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home