Syndactyl Salutations

Thoughts on writing, knitting, and the world around me.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Year of Magical Thinking

Please read this book.

I have been wanting to read The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion since it came out at the end of last year. I finally did last week in pretty much one fell swoop, most of it in less than five hours.

It was difficult to read at times, but so worth it. She brings the year to life, and her emotions about the events come sharply to the surface, without becoming sentimental or maudlin. It gives insight into grief of a kind I can never imagine experiencing.

I read it very quickly this time, and I have a feeling I'll read it again. Next time I'll take it slower, try to savor the language itself, rather than just the emotions and story.

So, yes, if you are looking for something to read, please read this book.

1 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger sUsAn said...

Oh, yes, this is a good book! I read it earlier this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home